Who doesn’t enjoy travelling? From exploring new places, tasting amazing cuisines, and experiencing different cultures, travel undoubtedly broadens the mind and is one of our favourite things to do. In this article we share our top five tips which will hopefully inspire you and help you to enjoy your travels all the more.
1. Spend more time in fewer places. Tempting though it may be, don’t try and pack too much into your holidays. A jam-packed whirlwind through North America or Europe is likely to result in burnout as well as blowing your budget. All that constant packing and unpacking let alone struggling with different time zones, visa requirements or currencies can be totally exhausting and stressful. It’s far better to relax and explore a country or region in full rather than attempting six countries in six days.
2. Explore your own backyard more. Often we’re so focused on travelling overseas that we ignore the enormous potential there is to travel and explore at home. In fact, there are some distinct advantages to traveling locally. You can still do it on a budget and it doesn’t involve any long flights or many hours of planning and research. Why not start off small by doing a weekend getaway to the coast or mountains? You may find there’s plenty to satisfy your travel desires locally if you only look.
3. Do the free stuff. Wherever you are in the world there’s always plenty of free or low cost activities that you can do. Not only will this mean your travel budget will go that bit further, often the best experiences are those that Mother Nature provides so check out this list for some ideas of free or low-cost activities you can enjoy anywhere in the world:
- swim at the beach or lake
- take a walk or bike ride
- climb a mountain
- catch a magnificent sunrise or a stunning sunset
- attend museums or tourist sites on free days or when they are discounted
- explore the parks
- visit a local market
- see a cultural event.
4. Fly where the deals are. Sometimes it pays to organise your holidays around where the best deals are. Usually we start with a destination and then spend hours trawling through the web searching for the cheapest flight deal. A more cost-effective and exciting approach is to go with where the best current deals are. Skyscanner is one of the best travel websites. It’s a flight search engine that lets you type in your departure city and search for a list of cheap flights to anywhere in the world. Give it a go, it’s a fun way to plan your next holiday!
5. Be flexible. Don’t pre-plan every day of your holiday and have everything booked up in advance. One of the most rewarding aspects of travelling is having the opportunity to go off on a tangent. You are bound to meet people who will tell you about exciting places, tours or events you hadn’t heard about before. And you will find that an activity you thought would take a half day, actually takes two days to fully enjoy. So, while some degree of pre-planning is always necessary, it’s also a good idea to have a degree of flexibility built in so you can enjoy the unexpected.
Wherever your travels take you to next, the important thing is to enjoy every moment. After all, it’s all about creating priceless memories and exciting experiences – that’s why we all love travelling!